Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Really...?

I love to receive phone calls from the OTHER department.  When I send my work there, I can count on Molasses (code name - she's slower than) giving me a ring; looking for one thing or another.  Most of the time I can point her in the right direction.  Yes, the information is right there in front of her... but she is too lazy or stupid to LOOK for it.  So.. she calls.  I point. 

Yesterday she called and asked for something completely out of the ordinary; something that is not contained within our procedures.  She was asking for something that made no sense AT ALL to me.  To get her off my line and the sound of her voice out of my ears, I agreed to pull the file and look into what it was she was asking for.  Then I called her supervisor. 

I repeated the conversation verbatim.  Then I paraphrased in my own interpretation.  Her supervisor confirmed.  Yes, they did need that information.  I reviewed the written procedure surround this type of transaction.  When I found it lacking instructions on what they wanted me to do, went to MY supervisor.

Let me make something very clear.  What they were asking me to provide them with... made NO SENSE to me at all.  BUT... I don't know everything (truly - I don't!).. so I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

My supervisor was more dumbfounded by the request than I was.  BUT, she always has a good plan... this time was no different.  She had me forward Molasses' email to her, explaining what I was being asked to do, AND to point out that the procedures say nothing about providing the OTHER department with this information.  I was to copy Molasses' supervisor on the email.

Ten minutes later we had an email back from the OTHER department's supervisor.  Surprise!  NO action was needed on our part.

I want someone to give me back the hour I lost chasing around over this.  Sad thing is ... it happens nearly every day.  I wonder how much longer Molasses is gonna have her job?

1 comment:

  1. This leads me to wonder exactly what she was wanting... was she STALKING somebody? or AFTER sensitive information (SS#, etc.)?

    ReplyDelete