Tuesday, June 29, 2010

a kiss of memory

I was sitting in the courtyard at work, eating my lunch and listening to the sounds of the nearby fountain and the birds singing. Perhaps it was the warmth of the sun that triggered the memory. I have no idea. But once it surfaced... it hit me hard.

It was our second date. I can't even recall now what we did that night. But the evening was over, and we were reluctant to part. We sat in his VW Beetle and held hands. He would trail his fingers up and down the softer inner side of my arm. The thought of that still makes me shiver.

There was very little talking. We were comfortable in the silence of the night. But I could tell he was nervous about something. I remember thinking, "He needs to kiss me." I kept looking into his eyes... thinking that surely he would read the wanting there.

Because we both worked early the next day, the night needed to end. We made our way to the front porch. He stopped and tugged on my arm gently. I turned to look at him. "Rita." he breathed. "I really need to kiss you. Is that OK?"

I remember laughing, and snuggling up to him. Tipping my head back, I whispered, "What took you so long to decide this?"

He actually tried to answer my question. But his tongue got all tied up. I laughed again. I placed my hands on his face, looked into his eyes, and whispered, "It is VERY OK with me."

The kiss was as wonderful as I thought it would be. I felt the electricity all the way down to my toes. As I melted into him, I realized that we fit perfectly together. It was a powerful moment for me.

Sitting here on the porch with my laptop, I can see the spot where this kiss took place. It's one of my favorite spots in the yard. Not only because of the view of the garden from there... but because it is where I experienced that First Magical Kiss with that man.

I've had time today to think about that time of my life. My relationship with him changed me forever. It taught me so much about myself; about the powers and responsibilities that women have. I learned about the fragility of egos and the need to nurture and strengthen your partner. There are so many lessons learned; things that have served me well over the years.

Good things. Special things. Important things.

I'm thinking I should take out these memories, and dust them off more often.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing beats the first kiss in a relationship.

    (unless you are only 15, and therefore, less skilled in said kissing).

    >8oD

    ReplyDelete